Database of radiological incidents and related events--Johnston's Archive
Casablanca orphaned source, 1984
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
last modified 23 September 2007
19 March 1984
Casablanca (Mohammedia), Morocco
Type of event:
lost radiography source
A 16.3-curie iridium-192 industrial radiography source was lost and taken home by a laborer. The laborer had laid the source on a table in the family bedroom, and it was in the house for possibly a few weeks. Exposure to radiation caused the deaths of 8 family members, including 4 children and their parents within a few days of each other, about 45 days after exposure. Three other people received significant exposures. Diagnosis of radiation exposure was only made 80 days after initial exposure.
8 fatalities, 3 injuries.
- Biau, Alain, 2001, "Radiation protection of the workers in industrial radiography: the point of view of the regulatory body in France," on line, European ALARA Network [http://ean.cepn.asso.fr/pdf/program5/session%201/5_biau.PDF].
- Bosworth, Lisa, et ali, 2002, "Radiation accidents", on line, BNL [www.bnl.gov/homeland/docs/HPS_rad_accidents.PPT].
- IAEA, 1988, The Radiological Accident in Goiania, IAEA (Vienna, Austria), on line at IAEA [http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub815_web.pdf].
- Mould, R. F., 2000, Chernobyl Record: The Definitive History of the Chernobyl Catastrophe, Institute of Physics Publ. (Bristol, UK).
- Nenot, J.-C., 2002, "Second Henri Jammet Memorial Lecture. Radiation accidents--an overview and feedback, 1950-2000," in 8th Coordination Meeting of World Health Organization Collaborating Centres in Radiation Emergency Medical Preparedness and Assistance Network, REMPAN, WHO [http://www.helid.desastres.net/?e=d-000who--000--1-0--010---4-----0--0-10l--11en-5000---50-about-0---01131-001-110utfZz-8-0-0&a=d&cl=CL1.6&d=Js2993e.4].
- Ortiz, P., M. Oresegun, and J. Wheatley, 2000, "Lessons from major radiation accidents," on line, International Radiation Protection Association [http://www.irpa.net/irpa10/cdrom/00140.pdf].
- Weaver, J. Ellsworth III, 1995, "A brief chronology of radiation and protection," on line, The Radiation Information Network [http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/chrono4.htm].
© 2004-2005, 2007 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
Last modified 23 September 2007.
Return to Home. Return to Nuclear Weapons Resources. Return to Database of radiological incidents and related events.