Database of radiological incidents and related events--
Zheleznodorozhny criminal radiological act, 1995
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
last modified 24 September 2007
~February-7 July 1995
Zheleznodorozhny, Moscow region, Russia
Type of event:
criminal act involving radioactive material
A person suffered radiation injury from a 1.3-curie cesium-137 source that had been placed in a door pocket of his truck. The driver was exposed for 5 months before the source was discovered, about the time he sought treatment for epilation of the thigh, moderate pancytopaenia, and azoospermia. Dose to the person was 800 rad whole body and 6,500 rad to the thigh. After 8 months of treatment, the person developed myelodsplastic syndrome which progressed to leukemia at 15 months. He was hospitalized periodically from 7 July 1995 to 27 April 1997, when he died.
- Baranov, A. E., A. K. Guskova, A. A. Davtian, A. V. Sevankaev, D. C. Lloyd, A. A. Edwards, E. V. Domracheva, A. A. Gordeeva, I. A. Gusev, G. F. Mikhailova, V. V. Moiseenko, V. Yu. Nugis and Yu. V. Olshanskaya, 1999, "Protracted overexposure to a 137Cs source: I, Clinical sequelae," Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 81:91-100.
- Fong, Fun, March 2007, "Recent radiation accidents," on line, NDMS Conference [http://www.ndms.chepinc.org/presentations/2007/bb-advanced_radiation_life_support_3.pps].
- International Association of Radiopathology, June 2001, "IAR liaison and information bulletin no. 2: 3. News from some recent accidents," International Association of Radiopathology, on line [http://www.radiopatho-int.org/bulletin3.asp?loca=5].
- Ilyin, L. A., V. Yu. Soloviev, A. E. Baranov, A. K. Guskova, N. M. Nadezhina, and I. A. Gusev, May 2004, "Early medical consequences of radiation incidents in the former URRS territory," 11th International Congress of IRPA, on line, IRPA [http://irpa11.irpa.net/pdfs/7c20.pdf].
- Souchkevitch, G. N., 2002, "Summary," in 8th Coordination Meeting of World Health Organization Collaborating Centres in Radiation Emergency Medical Preparedness and Assistance Network, REMPAN, WHO [http://www.helid.desastres.net/?e=d-000who--000--1-0--010---4-----0--0-10l--11en-5000---50-about-0---01131-001-110utfZz-8-0-0&a=d&cl=CL1.6&d=Js2993e.2].
- Sevan'kaev, A. V., D. C. Lloyd, A. A. Edwards, G. F. Mikhailova, V. Yu. Nugis, E. V. Domracheva, A. E. Baranov, A. A. Davtian, A. A. Gordeeva, I. A. Gusev, A. K. Guskova, V.V. Moiseenko, and Yu. V. Olshanskaya, 1999, "Protracted overexposure to a 137Cs source: I, Dose reconstruction," Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 81:85-90.
© 2007 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
Last modified 24 September 2007.
Return to Home. Return to
Nuclear Weapons Resources. Return to
Database of radiological incidents and related events.