Some recommended terrorism and counterterrorism documents
last modified 2 November 2002
(external links--locations in parenthesis)
- general terrorism background:
- CDISS Database: Terrorist Incidents 1945 to 1998 by Centre for Defence and International Security Studies, 1999 (CDISS).
- Facts and Figures About Terrorism by the Heritage Foundation, Sep 2001 (Heritage).
- Foreign Terrorist Organizations Designations, biannual report by the U.S. Department of State:
- Insurgencies, Terrorist Groups and Indigenous Movements: An Annotated Bibliography by Mr. Gerard Gato, Jul/Aug 1999 (FMSO).
- Middle East Terrorism: New Form of Warfare or Mission Impossible? by Stephen H. Gotowicki, May-Jun 1997 (FMSO).
- Patterns of Global Terrorism, annual report by the U.S. Department of State:
- 2001 Report, May 2002 (US DOS).
- 2000 Report, April 2001 (US DOS).
- 1999 Report, May 2000 (US DOS).
- 1998 Report, April 1999 (US DOS).
- 1997 Report, April 1998 (US DOS).
- 1996 Report, April 1997 (US DOS).
- 1995 Report, April 1996 (FAS).
- 1994 Report, April 1995 (FAS).
- 1993 Report, April 1994 (FAS).
- 1992 Report, April 1993 (FAS).
- 1991 Report, April 1992 (FAS).
- 1990 Report, April 1991 (FAS).
- 1989 Report, April 1990 (FAS).
- Significant Incidents of Political Violence Against Americans by the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, Office of Intelligence and Threat Analysis:
- 1998, 1998 (DOS) (.pdf).
- 1997, 1997 (DOS) (.pdf).
- 1996, 1996 (DOS) (.pdf).
- 1995, 1995 (DOS) (.pdf).
- Significant Terrorist Incidents, 1961-2001 by the U.S. Department of State, 31 Oct 2001 (DOS).
- Terrorism: Near Eastern Groups and State Sponsors, 2001 by Kenneth Katzman, 10 Sep 2001 (FAS) (.pdf).
- Terrorism Law & Policy by JURIST: The Legal Education Network at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Sep 2001 (Univ. of Pittsburgh).
- Terrorist Organizations and Other Para-State Entities by the Federation of American Scientists (FAS).
- U.S. Report to the UN Counterterrorism Committee by the U.S. Department of State, 19 Dec 2001 (DOS).
- general counterterrorism and response:
- strikes of 11 September 2001 and response:
- America's Lost database of names of those killed or missing compiled by Newsday.com (Newsday.com).
- America's War against Terrorism by the University of Michigan, 2002 (Univ. of Michigan).
- Attack on America: September 11, 2001 by the Counterterrorism Office of the U.S. Department of State, 2001 (DOS).
- Background on Al-Qaida/Usama Bin Laden by the Federation of American Scientists, 2001 (FAS).
- Chilling Effects of Anti-Terrorism: "National Security" Toll on Freedom of Expression by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Nov 2001 (EFF).
- Crime or Act of War? by Gary Dempsey, Sep 2001 (Cato).
- Cyber-Surveillance in the Wake of 9/11 by Adam Thierer and Wayne Crews, 18 Sep 2001 (Cato).
- The Global War on Terrorism: The First 100 Days by the U.S. Department of State, 20 Dec 2001 (DOS).
- Information Regarding the September 11 Attacks by the FBI, 2001 (FBI).
- Jihad Against Jews and Christians by Usama bin Laden, 23 Feb 1998 (FAS).
- The New Agenda for Homeland Security by Larry M. Wortzel and Michael Scardaville, 28 Sep 2001 (Heritage).
- Radical Islam vs. Islam by David F. Forte, 19 Sep 2001 (Heritage).
- Resolution Authorizing Use of Force Against Those Responsible for Recent Attacks Against the United States by U.S. Congress, 14 Sep 2001 (FAS).
- President Bush Declares a National Emergency, 14 Sep 2001 (FAS).
- Stopping Terrorism: Follow the Money by Gerald P. O'Driscell, Jr., Brett D. Schaefer, and John C. Hulsman, 25 Sep 2001 (Heritage).
- The Terrorist Attack on America: Implications for U.S. Policy by Kim R. Holmes, 14 Sep 2001 (Heritage).
- Wanted: Usama bin Laden by Interpol, 1998 (Interpol).
- A War, Not a Crusade by Ted Galen Carpenter, Sep 2001 (Cato).
- Whither the Taliban? by Ali A. Jalali and Lester W. Grau, 6 Mar 1999 (FMSO).
- other specific terrorist incidents:
- general WMD terrorism:
- nuclear terrorism:
- Biological Weapon Consensus Statements, series in Journal of the American Medical Association:
- Bioterrorism Articles in JAMA, 2002 (JAMA).
- unconventional warfare:
Copyright © 2001, 2002 by Wm. Robert Johnston. All rights reserved.
Last modified 2 November 2002.
Return to Home. Return to Terrorism, Counterterrorism, and Unconventional Warfare.